Frequently Asked Questions

Help Center Search

How do I add an entry to my hosts file?

Print this Article
Comment on this Article
Last Updated: July 15, 2008 1:58 PM

Adding entries to your hosts file allows you to view your transferred web content on your site before DNS propagation is complete. You can get the IP address from the Hosting Control Center and then create an entry in your hosts file.

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
  2. In the My Products section, select Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to create a hosts file entry for, click Open.
  4. In the Account Summary section, note the Server IP Address.

Now, you will add the entry into your hosts file. Host files are text documents that you can edit with any text editor. Add the Server IP Address and your domain name to your host file on an individual line. Follow the format of any previous entries for the order of the IP address and domain name.

Host file paths for popular operating systems:

• Linux: /etc/hosts
  • Macintosh OS X: /etc/hosts
  • Macintosh OS 9: In System Folder>Preferences, in the System Folder, see if you have a "Hosts" file. If not, create one in a text editor.
  • WindowsXP Home: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Windows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Windows 95/98/Me: c:\windows\hosts

NOTE: After your domain propagates be sure to remove the entry from your HOSTS file, as if you change plans or servers in the future, you will not be able to view your site.

NOTE: We do not condone or support modifying your system files, do so at your own risk.