Frequently Asked Questions

Help Center Search

How do I change the default program for a file type in my hosting account?

Print this Article
Comment on this Article
Last Updated: February 27, 2009 1:51 PM

Files within your hosting account open programs based on the file extension. For example, a file called file.php5 would open in PHP5 and a file called file.rb would open in Ruby.

Using the File Extension Manager in the Hosting Control Center you can change these defaults, or add custom file extensions

WARNING: Changing the default behavior of file extensions in your hosting account can have unexpected results, possibly disabling installed software on your hosting account. This is an advanced feature and should be used by experienced users only.

Modify File Extension Behavior Using the File Extension Manager

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
  2. In the My Products section, select Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
  4. In the Content section of the Hosting Control Center, click the File Extension icon.
  5. Select the extension you want to modify and click the Edit (Pencil) icon.
  6. Choose what application you want this extension to run under. When you're finished, click OK.

Calls to that extension will now be rendered in the application you selected.

Create a Custom File Extension

If you have an application that uses file extensions that are not listed in the Default Extensions area, you can create a custom extension and select which application you want that extension to run under.

1. Log in to your Account Manager.
  2. In the My Products section, select Hosting.
  3. Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
  4. In the Content section of the Hosting Control Center, click the File Extension icon.
  5. Click Custom Extensions.
  6. Click New Extension, the New Extension window displays.
  7. Enter the extension and the application you want the extension to run under. When you are finished, click OK.

All calls made to your custom extension will now open in the application you specified.