Frequently Asked Questions

Help Center Search

What are the requirements of adding Site Analytics to my subdomain or non-primary hosted domain?

Print this Article
Comment on this Article
Last Updated: February 12, 2009 3:04 PM

You can set up separate Site Analytics Accounts for each subdomain and non-primary domain you have hosted with us. This means you can track your subdomain or non-primary domain site separately from the primary account it is under. However, this feature has certain requirements in order to function:

Set Up a Site Analytics Account for Your Primary Domain
Before adding Site Analytics to an aliased domain or non-primary domain, you must affiliate the primary domain with a Site Analytics Account. Once you add the primary domain to a Site Analytics account, all aliased domains or non-primary domains are available to add to another Site Analytics account. For assistance adding Site Analytics to your primary domain, see Adding Site Analytics to Your Hosting Account.
Select From Accounts Hosted with Us
To use Site Analytics with any subdomain or non-primary domain, all the accounts must be hosted with us. Even if your primary account is hosted with us, if your subdomains or non-primary domains are hosted elsewhere, you cannot set them up within a Site Analytics Account.
Set Up Individual Site Analytics Accounts
You must have a separate Site Analytics account for each subdomain or non-primary domain whose statistics you wish to track. For additional assistance, see Adding Site Analytics to My Subdomain or Non-Primary Domain.
Do Not Use the Primary Account's Root Directory
Your subdomain or non-primary domain should not point to the root directory of the primary account. While you are not prevented from setting up your hosting accounts this way, Site Analytics does not show these domains in the Add Site list. To work with Site Analytics, you must direct the subdomain or non-primary domain to a specific folder within the primary hosting account. For additional assistance, see Adding Domains To Your Hosting Account.
Select a Unique Subdomain and Non-Primary Domain Path
If you have multiple subdomains or non-primary domains pointing to the same subdirectory within the primary hosted account, you are only able to select one of those domains to set up in a Site Analytics account. You can set up all such domains with a Site Analytics account until one is selected, at which point the additional ones are unavailable. To track information for multiple subdomains or non-primary domains, ensure each one is pointing to a unique directory within the primary hosting account.

Note: For Site Analytics to work on a subdomain or non-primary domain, you should enable Real Time settings. While this setting is not required if Site Analytics is enabled on your primary domain, if you ever change the settings on that domain, Site Analytics will no longer work on your subdomain or non-primary domain.

For additional information on working with Site Analytics, see What happens if I remove my primary domain Site Analytics account?